1. Food! With a weekend as wild and fun as this, it’s important to keep up your energy with frequent snacks, and breaks! Fleming Brothers Oil and Value Market Convenience Stores have you covered! They have donated enough goodies to curb the munchies of all of our 250 volunteers! Likewise, Biggby Coffee of South Haven has your back with beautiful muffins and doughnuts! Eat up!!
2. A Place to Hang - This year our Hospitality Team has organized a Volunteer Base as a place to get your delicious goodies, take a break in the air conditioning, and get to know other volunteers! It’s important to check in at the base before your shift to get any updates and let the leaders know you are here! They are counting on you! The Volunteer Base is at First United Methodist Church, and a huge thank you to them!
3. Festival T-shirt! This is your uniform to help mark you as one of us! This shirt can get you rides on golf carts, food, drink, and high fives! As one team, we want to look good in our signatures shirts!
4. Training! We want you to feel confident in your role making this festival happen. Here’s how you get the most knowledge before your shift:
Read the shift description as you sign up on Flipcause
Attend the Tailgating Kick Off party on June 24th
Attend the orientation July 29th at 6:30 at the Van Buren County Senior Center.
Come early to your shift, so that you can get checked in, read the onsite description, and receive a short briefing from the person you are relieving.
Likewise, pass on the knowledge you gained via briefing the next person, and in the notes section of the onsite material.
5. Coffee, Coffee, Coffee! Our director is an unashamed caffeine addict, so there is no hiding the fact that there will be a lot of coffee available! Huge thanks to Biggby Coffee of South Haven for donating over 20 gallons of ‘fuel’ for the festival.
6. Water! Ok, getting serious, we can not overemphasize the importance of staying hydrated and drinking liters of water while working at the festival. Culligan of Allegan has donated a water station for our volunteer base. Here you can get cold water in a cup - or help make blue the new green by bringing your favorite refillable water bottle! Thank you Culligan!
7. Blueberry Blimp! - Called a Blump! On Sunday August 11th at 2pm we are taking a giant volunteer photo from the sky! This is a fun, volunteer only event to highlight the team that is the Berry Best!
8. High expectations! We want to be market leaders in the art of hosting a festival. We expect all of our volunteers (as our staff team) to uphold professionalism, and customer courtesy. One way to do this, is to be sure you are having fun!
9. Weather! Let’s be honest, it’s the middle of August in Michigan. Plan for the heat by taking breaks between shifts and wearing lightweight clothing, and plan for the rain with your favorite water-proof gear.
10. Thank Yous! In Fall, you can look forward to a Sponsor and Volunteer Thank You party called the Harvest Party! This is a special time to recognize your help in pulling off this amazing weekend for the community to enjoy. But let’s get a head start - Thank You so much for being part of our tribe!
2020 National Blueberry Festival Resources!